Sunday, October 19, 2008

Week of the Crazy

Alrighty, so I figured out how to keep track of events throughout the week, and what a week to keep track of! I didn't think my life was this interesting anymore.

Last Sunday, we got our home teaching assignments. I was really happy to do that because I felt like a church bum since I got home. No callings, no assignments. I would sign up to give prayers and stuff in church, but that isn't quite the same as having an actual assignment. So when we got our home teaching routes I was ecstatic. My partner's name is Micah Anderson. He is a really good guy, very humble and willing to do whatever it takes to fulfill the home teaching. He was less active for most his life and then a couple years ago he hit a couple horses in his truck, it totalled the truck and almost killed him. It was his wake up call, so this is his first time home teaching, I am really happy to accompany someone that is willing and desirous to learn how to do all these things. He even still has some pictures of his truck after the accident, if it wasn't for the wheels, you might have hard time guessing it was a truck.

Ugh.... Wednesday.... I just woke up and it didn't feel like a good day. So I went through all the routine, going to auto class, working my butt off, going to institute, and engineering. Right before institute I had a really good experience. I arrived a few minutes early and I decided to do the required reading for my Teachings of the Living Prophets class. As I was sitting there I started to think about some of my missionary buddies back in LA. I wondered if it had been transfers already, then, the UVU missionaries walked past. I said hi to them and they came over and we talked a little. One was new in the area so I introduced myself and he talked to me about the ensign article I was reading. I told him that I was reading Dallin H. Oaks talk "Testimony" He recommended that I read Elder Bednars talk, "Pray with Faith." Then he caught me by surprise and talked about how much prayer can help with the missionary work and then he committed me to pray to have a missionary experience every night. It was really strange for me because I am use to being the one giving the commitments to the members. But this new missionaries boldness impressed me and brought the spirit strongly. So I have been praying, and I will continue to pray for missionary experiences and the ability to recognize them.

Ok, so the meat of Wednesday... I got in an accident! Yuck. It was really minor, but an accident nonetheless. I had gone to the gym that night and I was just leaving when I wanted to look at my cell phone. I had put it in the center console of the car while I was in the gym, so I look down to see if I can grab it, and right as I look up, the car in front of me had stopped completely at the red light turning right. I slam on my brakes, and then I hit her. She pulls over, I pull behind her and we get out. She had a much better reaction then my first accident, asking me if I was alright. Turns out I knocked my license plate holder off my bumper and maybe (not sure yet) scratched her car a little bit. The cop came and filled out the info exchange forms and sent us on our way. And during that wait I just talked with the girl, she was really nice and didn't seem too worried about the whole ordeal. Still no word yet as to if there is damage on her car that needs to be repaired. I guess I can't drive crazy anymore, cause I don't have the lord's protection to the degree I did in LA. Darn..

I worked my first 8 hour shift since being home on Thursday. I was really intimidated and almost didn't go to work. However, it didn't turn out too bad and so I earned a good 64 bucks that day.

Guess what?! Its fall and its really pretty!!! I took a few pictures.



Friday! Good times, we did pumpkin carving! I was with Jocelyn and Rob and a couple of their neighbors.
We are all just getting into the carving groove here.
My finished product, can you tell what it is?
Maybe now you can tell better.
Ahhh look at those chubby cheeks.
This is a fall picture that is out of place.

Last but not least, I just got my calling!!! I am going to be an FHE Dad. They are splitting our ward up into 4 groups for 2 FHE's a month. And for those 2, the FHE mom and I will be taking care of our group, group 3. We are in charge of my floor, floor 3 in building 1, and floor 2 in building 2. Still don't know who mommy is yet, but we will find out today I believe. The aim of this calling is to get more spirituality involved in the FHE's. So we are going to be having a meeting later on this week to talk about things and expectations and curriculum.

3 comments:

Jocelyn said...

You're right, the leaves at mom and dad's house are looking nice now. Remember to bring your camera on Tuesday so I can steal those pictures from you.

Maren Hansen said...

Love the pumpkin, the leaves are boo-tiful, and waiting for a pic of the FHE mommy so I know what my sister-in-law to be looks like... :) Sorry 'bout the accident--they suck big time. Such a little thing, such a big bummer. Good luck as you do second term auto class!!

JandS Morgan said...

That would be crazy to flip around places with the missionary. We're going to carve our pumpkins on Monday for FHE. That is amazing that the girl was so nice to you after the accident. I'd like to think I'd be that way...